Tuesday 2 March 2010

Video Chat is the Next Best Thing

I was really nervous about doing some kind of synchronous chat conversation via webcam. I had never used the webcam on my laptop, never used any type of video-making or video-chat technology of any kind. I asked my friend Katie about it and she said she used Skype all the time to talk to her family back home and that it was easy. A few of my friends had done video chat, too. I felt left out. At one point when chatting with Katie on Gmail, I asked if we could try doing the video chat, and loaded the software for it. Pretty soon, we were up and talking! It was literally less than 2 minutes from instant messaging to video chat. We talked for about 15 minutes, and I am no longer afraid to use video chat!

I am going on a study abroad this summer, and I think I will load Skype and learn to use it. I think I can train my parents and siblings so that we can use it to communicate while I'm gone. Video chat is easy and definitely more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment